Sunday, January 25, 2009

Pre-grade thoughts

I just sent out the following email to about 50 classmates. Feel free to leave a comment of your own:

"Today I am in this Zen world where I still hope I might get one or two good grades. That will all change on Friday.

"I want to loosely track how we change over the next few months as a result of our grades. This is by no means a scientific study, but it might be interesting as we consider our futures.

"If you would like to respond (preferably before Friday, January 30) reply to this email or post your thoughts anonymously at blogat12thandhigh.blogspot.com. I will post all responses I receive via email under an anonymous name shortly after we receive our grades.

"Three questions for you (my responses follow):
  1. Who will you share your grades with: no one, everyone you can, a few close friends?
  2. If you do not do as well as you think or hope you did, how might your outlook on law school change?
  3. Do you find school competitive, and how might grades alter competition?
"I will tell my parents and a few close friends how poorly I did on my finals. I say I will not disclose my grades to my peers, but give me a few beers and I am sure I will tell anyone who asks. Further, I often wear my emotions on my sleeve; surely I will find a way to subconsciously reflect them.

"Today, I'm stuck in this Zen world where I think I will be able to cope with whatever grades I get, but just a few days from now I might be bitter. While I am happy with my law school decision I will surely re-evaluate a few of the non-legal opportunities I passed up to come to Moritz if I do not meet the modest standards I have set for myself. Hopefully I will not have regrets.

"I thought this environment would be more competitive. As soon as we get our grades, the competitive spirit will increase. Dan will want to know if he did better than Linda. Peter will wonder why and how Carol ruined the curve. Eventually / hopefully we will all realize that we will become good lawyers regardless of our grades (as administrators and profs have eulogized since orientation) and any heightened sense of competition will dissipate."

5 comments:

  1. This blog and the intentions of it are a bad idea. The anonymity and general topics already raised for discussion will likely foster negativity as well as support bitterness and jealousy.

    I also feel that the inward contemplation suggested by this blog is indicative of a generation that has already been characterized as overly self-involved. Google "millenials" to see what the rest of the world things of our age group. We are selfish and disloyal, with an undue sense of entitlement. The anonymity offered here will offer a window into our loathsome self-centered souls. I feel that a blog where we are invited to anonymously post about our insecurities, jealousies, and overt self-interest will do nothing but reflect all of our negative aspects.

    This website, if it is to succeed, will bring out the worst in us and could tarnish the reputation of our school. In a profession that demands professionalism, this is an exercise in the opposite.

    I am a first year student.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I understand the first post's concerns about our peer group, I can't help but think that its incredible pessimism is indicative of the generational attributes its author so despises. There is no reason a candid discussion of how grades affect our perceptions of law school is out of line; nor does it show some particular weakness or shallowness. And certainly not loathsome self-centeredness. On the contrary, I have been nothing but impressed by my fellow Moritz classmates and find them intelligent, effusive and kind.

    I am glad to have made it through the first semester. I don't plan on sharing my grades, but I do look forward to receiving them. If I didn't do as well as I would like, then I look forward to working harder. There is some competition, but it has never been unfriendly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree, for the most part. I think the intentions of the creator of the blog are probably good. They want to encourage an open forum for discussion. The fact is though, that many students will use it for negative purposes. They will end up trashing others and nothing positive will result. I had similar ideas when I started contemplating students sharing grade results with each other. Wouldn't it be great to be able to find out who was at the top of the class without waiting for word to circulate? It won't work though. Some students simply do not want to share how well or poorly they did, and it should be left that way. How other people feel about their grades is none of my business or concern, and furthermore, their motivation level doesn't affect me. I can only work as hard as I can, and while my grades are relative to others, my feelings on law school and drive to succeed are not.

    I'm sure after grades are out some people will be crying themselves to sleep and some will be smiling ear to ear. Either way, the school has your money for second semester already, so nothing's going to change. Everyone will show up Monday the exact same person they were Friday.

    Anonymity is also BS. If you can't stand behind your opinions, you should keep them to yourself.

    Rachel Wenning (1L)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a 2L at Moritz and happened to come across this blog.

    Y'all are way too stressed out right now. It'll be okay, even if you get all C's. You will still have a J.D. You will still get a job. And that "BigLaw" job you think you want will probably either make you miserable for the rest of your life or will give you a heart attack by 45.

    So don't sweat the small stuff. Grades are as important as you make them out to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a prof at Moritz and I agree 100% --- really 1000% --- with what the 2L just said. I will add this additional pleasant thought for those who will have 2+ years of school still ahead: the economy will likely be MUCH better in two years AND law firms of all sizes are often more eager to hire young (cheaper) lawyers rather than more experienced (and more expensive) lawyers as the return to hiring.

    ReplyDelete

let me know if you are prof, student, or someone from outside the legal world. tell me where your are from and list your law school year.
- moritz 1l